I just finished adding SPAM protection to this blog. Based on the number of spams that show up in comments, you would think that I am world famous. I have been responding to comment screening notices from the site for months only to find that, like most blogs, over 95% of comments are spam. So, why did I wait so long to add the filters?
I could give you a very long list. It might sound familiar:
- …I have been too busy.
- …I did not have the time to figure it out and did not have resources I trusted to sort it for me.
- …I just did not want to deal with that level of detail.
- …I do not know much about the technical underpinnings and did not want to waste time learning
/yada… yada… yada… We have probably dozens of stories and adages and excuses about this, since humans are natural procrastinators.
As you get ready for the weekend, take this home to think about: What challenges do you and your organization face that could be easily solved by taking a day’s worth of the time to focus on solutions instead of put out the fires? What have you avoided doing that would, for a one-time investment, create long term value? Some possible examples based on a straw poll of clients that may ring a bell for you:
- Banking CEO: “I inherited a VP who should never have been made a VP. Until I figure out how to tell her that and either find her a suitable position or transition her out, I will have hours of workaround and damage control to deal with every week.”
- Manufacturing COO: “We have needed a portfolio management system for projects for a year. The reporting and resource management probably outstrips the cost and risk every quarter- but it has seemed like a distraction until now.”
- Unit Director, HR, Health Care : “My boss and I have been in a cold war ever since the last round of reviews. We need to find a way to talk through our differences and reset, or I need to go somewhere else. Either way, the level of distraction is killing productivity.”
- SVP Global Business Development in a Software Firm: “I have been avoiding a trip to EMEA ever since the new regional MD was appointed. I have said I will get over when I have the time, but the lack of clear agreements in how our teams will interact is really getting in the way. I think I need to make time and go.”
PonderThis is published to arrive in your RSS/ mailbox on Fridays as an concept to ponder over the weekend and goes to thousands of requesters on 4 continents